« return to job listing
Aerospace Medical Service
Overview: Aerospace Medical Service personnel combine the roles of Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and individual specialty technician. Whether they are stationed in hospitals, aboard aeromedical evacuation aircraft or in deployed locations, they perform indispensable roles in providing high level medical care.
- Perform duty as Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), independent duty medical technician, aeromedical evacuation technician, hyperbaric medical technician, allergy, and immunization technician or neurology technician
- Care for, observe and report on post-operative, seriously or critically ill and injured patients
- Prepare and administer medications under nurse or physician supervision
- Perform field medical care in contingency and disaster operations as well as basic life support and triage in emergency situations
- Perform pharmacy, laboratory, bioenvironmental, public health, logistics and administration duties
- High school diploma or GED is mandatory. Courses in general science, biology, psychology and chemistry are desirable.
- No record of emotional instability
- ASVAB score of 50 on General
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8.5 weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Careers:
- Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) and Paramedics