Overview: One of the most remarkable advances in modern medicine is the capacity of Anesthesiologists to maintain patients in a highly controlled unconscious state that allows for maintenance of all vital body processes during surgery. The Air Force Reserve offers the opportunity for these specialists to be part of highly specialized hospital surgical teams and also take part in disaster relief and humanitarian missions.
- Administer general and local anesthetics
- Maintain life support
- Serve as consultant on anesthesiology
- Consult on respiratory physiology problems and ventilator management for intensive care facilities
- For entry into this speciality: a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy
- For qualified status: completion of a residency or fellowship in anesthesiology acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer, and military healthcare.