Qualifications to Serve
- Be a U.S. citizen (dual citizenship is not accepted)
- Be qualified spiritually, morally, intellectually and emotionally to serve Air Force Reserve personnel
- Pass the Air Force Reserve physical examination and meet weight standards
- Pass a National Security Agency background check to qualify for a security clearance
- Be sensitive to religious diversity and provide for the free exercise of religion by all military personnel, their dependents, and other authorized personnel of the U.S. Military
Educational requirements: Schools must be accredited
- Bachelor degree - Chaplains and candidates must possess a degree with not less than 120 semester hours
- Professional degree - Chaplains must possess a completed Master of Divinity of at least 72 hours. Candidates must be working on the MDiv. (Any MDiv equivalency must require at least 72 hours within the program itself. Combined degrees to equal or surpass the 72 hours requirement are not allowed. Adding additional hours onto a lesser degree is not allowed.)
- All degree plans and transcripts must be reviewed by our staff.
- This is a competitive process. If your goal is to become an active duty chaplain, several factors will be considered to meet the needs of the air Force (degree hours, denomination, etc.)
Ecclesiastical requirements: All chaplains and chaplain candidates must have an ecclesiastical chaplain endorser. Normally, this comes through denominational channels. Non-denominational applicants must find a non-denominational endorser. Here is a list of endorsers.
- Chaplains must have full endorsement
- Candidates must have an ecclesiastical approval letter
- See the FAQ on this site for more information
Age requirements: Chaplains must be less than 40 at the time of appointment. Those with prior military service must be less than 42 at the time of appointment. Candidates must be less than 35 at the time of appointment. See the FAQ on this site for more information.
- Commissioned Officer Training - approximately 4 weeks
- Basic Chaplain Course - approximately 6 weeks
For chaplain candidates: See Chaplain Programs tab on this site for details
- First Summer - approximately 11 weeks
- Second Summer Internship - approximately 5 weeks