« return to job listing
Overview: The government is a major purchaser of supplies and services. It is essential that the government receives the best value for its dollar and that all contracts are awarded as a result of fair competition that is open to all qualified vendors. Contracting personnel assist Contracting Officers in the preparation of contract solicitations and awards as well as evaluations of contractor performance and compliance.
- Administer contracting functions for commodities, services and construction
- Review proposed documents to ensure correctness and compliance with regulations, directives, laws, statutes and contracting policies
- Prepare solicitations and ensures they are publicly advertised as appropriate
- Evaluate cost/pricing and past performance information
- Conduct site visits to determine adequacy of contractor compliance
- Completion of 24 semester hours in business related subjects, such as accounting, business finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, and organization and management is desirable, or possession of a baccalaureate degree.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and speak distinctly
- Never convicted by court-martial or received nonjudicial punishment for dereliction of performance of duties involving contracting activities, larceny, misappropriation of funds or property or financial responsibility
- No record of disciplinary action (Letter of Reprimand [LOR] or Article 15) for committing acts of misconduct or engaging in falsification of legal documents or documented failures (LOR or Article 15) to exercise sound leadership principles with respect to morale or welfare of subordinates and peers, leadership or customers.
- Never convicted by a civilian court of a Category 1, 2 or 3 offense, nor exceeded the accepted number of Category 4 offenses. Category 3 and 4 traffic offenses alone are not disqualifying
- ASVAB score of 72 on General
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8.5 weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX; followed by Technical Training
Related Civilian Occupation:
- Financial Clerks
- Procurement Clerks
- Purchasing Managers, Buyers and Purchasing Agents