« return to job listing
Overview: Family Care Physicians focus on health maintenance and ongoing health care for all family members regardless of sex, age or type of problem. These family care specialists normally practice in a non-emergency setting and often direct Family Practice Clinics. They consult extensively with specialists and other medical and supporting healthcare personnel.
- Maintain a program of comprehensive family healthcare to include preventative medicine, behavioral sciences and community health
- Examine patients, formulate diagnostic and treatment plans
- Determine need for consultation and assist in medical care provide at direction of other specialists
- Manage family practice inpatients, conduct ward rounds and prescribe inpatient therapy
- For entry into this speciality, a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF, and current enrollment in a family practice residency program acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF
- For Qualified status, completion of a residency in family practice acceptable to the Surgeon General HQ USAF, or board certification by either the American Board of Family Practice or the Advisory Board of Osteopathic Specialties
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.