« return to job listing
Overview: Internists focus on the diagnosis and non-surgical treatment of diseases of internal organs, especially in adults. As diseases often progress with age, these specialists treat many military retirees and their families.
- Prepare and review case histories and clinical records
- Perform and direct diagnostic procedures
- Prescribe treatment for internal diseases including medications, physical therapy and diet
- Serve as consultant on internal diseases
For entry into this specialty:
- Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF
- Current enrollment in an internal medicine residency program acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF.
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Officer Training School Abbreviated. This five-week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.