« return to job listing
Overview: Entomology is the study of insects. Medical Entomologists develop and administer medical pest control programs that are structured to control insects and other pests while creating minimal environmental impact or health problems. While pest control may seem routine on military bases, it takes on a different priority during disaster relief and combat situations.
- Conduct surveys and recommend control measures for insects, rodents, birds, weeds, nematodes and other pests
- Implement procedures to ensure minimal environmental impact from pest control operations
- Perform research in medical biology and prepare comprehensive reports
- Coordinate with military and civilian agencies/authorities
- Master's degree in entomology or Master's degree in zoology, biology, or public health with a qualifying thesis in entomology is mandatory as a minimum
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.