« return to job listing
Mental Health Services
Overview: Unlike a broken arm, mental health issues are not easily diagnosed by x-ray nor do they heal in a few weeks. Precise diagnoses can be difficult, patient compliance requires life style changes and treatment programs may be long term. Mental Health Service personnel play key roles in assisting Airmen and family members resolve underlying issues, including substance abuse, so they can achieve productive and enjoyable professional and personal lives.
- Support mental health services in psychiatry, psychology, social work, family advocacy, substance abuse and mental health programs
- Perform initial basic assessment including psychological testing, clinical interview, substance abuse and other evaluations
- Initiate precautionary measures to prevent injury and suicide
- Supervise and assist with care of patients with acute or post-traumatic stress reactions
- Coordinate with other agencies regarding care, treatment, prevention and rehabilitation
- Must complete the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) assessment.
- Must undergo a standardized entry interview with Senior 4C0X1 at respective installation (preferred) or any credentialed/privileged Mental health provider.
- Absence of any speech impediment and ability to read aloud and speak distinctly
- No record of emotional instability to include exhibiting impulsive behaviors that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuity, substance abuse, substance abuse incidents, DUIs, reckless driving, binge eating, self-injury, financial irresponsibility, psychiatric hospitalizations, etc.) or self-harm attempts, threats, or self-mutilating behavior.
- No evidence of personality disorder or unresolved mental health problems (e.g., inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger) within the last 7 years.
- ASVAB score of 55 on General
- Demonstrated weight lift of 40 pounds
- Candidates without prior military experience are required to attend 8 ½ weeks of Basic Military Training (BMT) at JB San Antonio-Lackland, TX followed by Technical Training
- Technical Training - 67 days at JB San Antonio-Ft Sam Houston, TX
- College credit earned: Mental Health Services – 26 credits
Related Civilian Careers: