« return to job listing
Overview: Neurologists diagnose and treat disorders of the nervous system (brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves) that result from injury or diseases such as epilepsy or multiple sclerosis. They perform detailed examinations on all patients and determine the appropriate action suitable for each individual.
- Formulates plans and procedures for neurological services
- Examines patients, determines need for clinical laboratory tests, and interprets examination findings and test results
- Coordinates neurological services with other medical activities
- Supervises medical technicians and serves as consultant on electroencephalographic apparatus and other neurological diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Doctor of Medicine degree or a doctor of osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy is mandatory.
- For entry and retention of AFSC 44N1, current enrollment in a neurology residency program acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5-week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.