« return to job listing
Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Overview: Some medical specialties require minimal patient contact and communication. At the other end of the spectrum are obstetricians, whose communicative skills must equal their technical abilities during the unique periods of pregnancy and childbirth. The Air Force Reserve offers OB/GYNs the opportunity to serve a very special group of people, reservists who are serving their country and their families.
- Prescribe prenatal and postnatal care and perform deliveries
- Treat diseases and injuries of female reproductive system
- Perform surgery and coordinate gynecological and obstetrical operations with anesthesiologists
- Serve as consultant on obstetrics and gynecology
- For entry into this speciality, a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy
- For qualified status, completion of a residency or fellowship in obstetrics and gynecology acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.