« return to job listing
Overview: Many Air Force Reserve jobs have specific vision requirements in terms of visual acuity, color vision and/or depth perception. Optometrists examine and evaluate the vision of Reserve members and their families, and if needed, prescribe lenses or other corrective measures, including recommendations for laser surgery consultations.
- Examine eyes with instrumentation and observation to determine visual efficiency and performance
- Prescribe treatment including lenses
- Administer visual training for ocular muscle imbalance
- Plan and direct occupational vision programs
- Completion of a Doctor of Optometry degree from an accredited four-year college of optometry approved by the Surgeon General, HQ USAF
- An unrestricted state license to practice optometry utilizing therapeutic pharmacologic agents is mandatory. Such licensure must be attained within 12 months of entering active duty.
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.