« return to job listing
Overview: The success of many orthopedic surgeries is as dependent on post-surgical rehabilitation as on the surgery itself. Many other conditions respond better to exercise and conservative treatment than to surgery or ongoing medication. Physical therapists utilize rehabilitative exercise, massage, electronic stimulation and other modalities to treat musculoskeletal conditions. They are essential in making patients active participants in the recovery process as well as to preventing conditions from becoming chronic.
- Administer physical therapy treatment programs including monitoring patient response
- Coordinate the physical therapy program with the medical facility
- Recommend use or adjustment of braces, orthotics, prostheses and related appliances
- For entry into this specialty, completion of a degree program in physical therapy acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF, is mandatory. Minimum mandatory education is Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) or an entry-level DPT.
- A current, valid, active and unrestricted state license to practice physical therapy is mandatory.
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.