« return to job listing
Overview: Physician Assistants (PA-C) play a vital role in the healthcare system by providing primary medical care under the supervision of a physician. They are often the ears of the physician, as patients often tell PA-Cs and other medical support personnel key facts about their condition that they don't tell the physician.
- Provide primary or specialty medical care with the cognizance or supervision of a physician
- Counsel patients on medical problems, medications, expected outcomes of treatment, family planning, child care, diet and other therapeutic health matters
- Administer emergency lifesaving procedures and medications pending availability of a physician
- For entry into this specialty, graduation from a Physician Assistant training program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors and acceptable to the Surgeon General, USAF
- Certification by National Committee on Certification of Physician Assistants
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.