« return to job listing
Overview: Podiatrists specialize in the treatment of ankle and foot problems. They utilize the latest rehabilitation and surgical techniques to get patients back on their feet again.
- Performs examinations to determine physiological and physical abnormality of the foot, ankle, and related structures
- Formulates plans and procedures for podiatric surgery services
- Plans and conducts clinical research
- Reviews and studies case histories, analyzes data, and participates with other scientists and physicians in programs to investigate new techniques and methods to improve foot health
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) degree from an approved college of podiatric medicine is mandatory
- Completion of a 36-month Podiatric Medicine and Surgery residency program is required for accession
- Board Qualified/Certified by American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (ABFAS) or American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM)
- Must obtain and maintain clinical privileges IAW AFI 44-119, Medical Quality Operations
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5-week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.