« return to job listing
Overview: Military service members face unique pressures in addition to the challenges of daily life. Skilled Psychiatrists are essential in ensuring that service members and their families receive top-level evaluation and treatment of mental health issues that may arise.
- Examine, diagnose and treat psychiatric disorders
- Manage and direct psychiatric services
- Serve as medical and psychiatric consultant to physicians, clinical psychologists and social workers
- Instruct interns and residents on psychiatry
- For entry into this specialty, a doctor of medicine degree or a doctor of osteopathy degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy
- For Qualified status, completion of a residency or fellowship in pyschiatry acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ AFRC
- For those without a prior military service commission, the first step is completion of Commissioned Officer Training (COT). This 5 week course at Maxwell AFB, AL will familiarize you with military life, your role as an officer and military healthcare.