« return to job listing
Public Health Officer
Overview: Public Health Officers focus on factors that can affect the health of military communities as a whole rather than on the treatment of individual patients. They concentrate on preventative medicine, communicable disease control, occupational health, food safety and disaster response programs.
- Promote public health through surveillance of disease trends, food safety practices and sanitation levels in public and food service facilities
- Initiate and direct preventative medicine and communicable disease control programs and education
- Direct occupational health program including examinations of workers at risk for hazardous exposures and maintaining liaison with other agencies
- Provide medical information to members deploying or in disaster relief operations
- All degrees must be from accredited institutions/programs, in accordance with AFI 36-2005. Appointment in Commissioned Grades and Designation and Assignment in Professional Categories (e.g. Veterinary colleges are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association, MPH programs are accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) (http://www.ceph.org/). Applicants must have/maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale for all applicable degrees. For entry into this specialty, the following are mandatory:
- Possess Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD), or Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH/MSPH) plus a baccalaureate degree in either nursing (from a nationally accredited baccalaureate degree program in nursing), biology, entomology, microbiology, or zoology; or;
- A baccalaureate degree in a biology, entomology, microbiology, or zoology, plus a CCAF in Public Health/Environmental Medicine Technology or allied health sciences for Enlisted Public Health Technicians.
- Minimum of 24 months on extended active duty filling a RegAF Public Health Officer position
- For award of AFSC 43H3, completion of both the Public Health Officer Basic course and the Contingency Preventive Medicine course are mandatory